Tuesday, October 10, 2006

God's Unfathomable Graciousness

Do you ever have days when you are simply overwhelmed by the kindness of God? When His love and tender care seems to flood over you, and you are simply carried away with His goodness. . . There are moments when nothing seems to be able to dampen my enthusiasm, my joy, and my gratitude to my Savior for the countless ways He shows me His love. Today has been such a day, and I am full to the brim with the joy of the life and love God has given me. I am conscious of my Father’s blessings in a profound way, and my heart sings with joy at how He showers them upon me.

But with this joy has come a sense of my own unworthiness, a realization of how little I deserve such perfect happiness. Oh, that this sense would not be lost in the days and weeks ahead. May I continue to remember how unworthy I am, and may I not forget the ways I have seen the Lord’s hand today. How easy—all too easy—it is to be caught up in material circumstances, to complain and become bitter, to think that my ways are better than God’s ways, and that if I was only given the means, I could solve my problems so much better than He seems to be doing it. My attitude and my focus are so often diametrically opposite to where they should be. I cease to recognize the blessings that are ever before me as I get so bogged down in the sight of my own struggles.

And yet, in the midst of my own sinful selfishness, how God rewards me! Despite ingratitude and rebellion, He pours down blessing after blessing! He shows me His graciousness in ways I knew I do not and could never deserve. I am humbled beyond measure to see His kindness—kindness granted in spite of my actions, the actions of a spoiled, foolish teenager who can’t see ten feet beyond her nose. How wrong I am to act in such a way. . .

May I never forget how unworthy I am of my Father’s blessings. May I always remember how gracious He is to me, even when I don’t deserve it. May I seek, at all costs, to avoid those sinful attitudes of ingratitude and lack of submission to His plan. And may I ever seek to conform myself to the image of Christ and reflect the joy of the life He has given me through His ultimate act of graciousness in saving me.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home