Charlotte's Web

“It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” We all know the story. For some of us, it has become an all-time favorite that brings back a world of childhood memories. Now E.B. White’s classic is being re-discovered by a whole new generation thanks to the recent film.
I must confess that it has been a number of years since I last read Charlotte’s Web, so I am perhaps a bit fuzzy on the story’s details. That being said, however, the movie perfectly captured the heart and soul of the story I remembered so well. Much of the narration and even dialogue seemed to be (from my vague recollections) straight out of the book. All of the elements were there—Wilbur’s innocent, bright-eyed wonder as he watched the world unfold around him; Fern’s enthusiasm and loyal devotion to her little friend; Charlotte’s gentle friendship and quiet determination to keep her promise and save Wilbur’s life.
Dakota Fanning leads a star-studded cast as Fern, perfectly capturing the little girl’s outrage at an act of injustice and her determination to take care of Wilbur. I have rarely seen a child actress whose ability matches Fanning’s. I was a bit upset when I first heard that the filmmakers had cast Julia Roberts, of all people, to voice Charlotte, but in the end, her “rather thin, but pleasant” voice works quite well, matching the book’s description of Charlotte. Steve Buscemi is brilliantly cast as Templeton, “the rat [who] rocks.” Supporting cast includes John Cleese, Cedric the Entertainer, Robert Redford, Reba McEntire, Essie Davis, and Oprah Winfrey.
From a visual standpoint, the film is beautiful. Scenery is cheerful and lovely, and the visual direction and effects make for an adaptation and experience of the story that is unique and up-close. Watch particularly for the scenes underground in Templeton’s “house” after he takes the infamous rotten egg. Brilliant.
“Fern loved Wilbur more than anything.” It’s true. It comes across onscreen, and it’s easy to see that this film is, first and foremost, about love: love that causes a little girl to save more than just one innocent life, love that holds a family together through the “ins and outs” of daily life, and most of all, love that causes a loyal friend to give of herself even to death to keep a promise and prove herself a true friend.
It’s rare that such a heartwarming story is so faithfully and beautifully brought to life. Go see it. You’ll laugh. You’ll probably cry. And you surely won’t be disappointed.
Highly recommended for everyone; rated G.
Labels: Movie Reviews


3 Comments:
You know, if it weren't for the fact that one of the main characters is a (shudder) spider, I might actually see it. lol.
Steve Buscemi as Templeton? HILARIOUS! I totally would have picked him above anyone else. :)
Maybe someday I'll watch this, but for now, I'll stick to the cartoon and book. :)
Haha! I didn't even think about Charlotte. . . yeah, she is very much a spider, lol. And quite a realistic one at that, I might add. =P
Yes, Steve Buscemi as Templeton! It totally was hilarious. He was absolutely perfect. I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job.
It is truly a very sweet movie, but yeah, the spider thing might be a bit hard to get past, wot? ;)
Kim warned me. I saw the cartoon, and liked it, but she said the realism and focus on spiders would have been not good. And she doesn't want me waking up in the middle of the night dreaming about spiders. (One of the many things we were cracking up about at the Fellowship Meal this past Lord's Day. lol.
Post a Comment
<< Home