Friday, April 06, 2007

Amazing Grace

Rather than write a formal review, I would simply like to encourage anyone who has not yet seen Walden Media’s new film Amazing Grace—go see it. It’s rare to see such a gem come out of modern Hollywood, so we should certainly support them when they do come!

Amazing Grace narrates the incredible story of William Wilberforce, the man who stood against incredible odds for over forty years as he fought for the abolition of the British slave trade and of slavery as a whole. Woven into the story are other significant historical figures, such as John Newton, the man who urged Wilberforce to make use of his God-given talents in the political realm, and William Pitt, Wilberforce’s close friend who became the Prime Minister of England.

Beyond being superbly acted (the ever-brilliant Ioan Gruffudd captures the indomitable strength and self-sacrificing humility of Wilberforce perfectly), beautifully scored, and wonderfully photographed, Amazing Grace also packs a powerful punch in the underlying theological message it portrays. Throughout the film, we see Wilberforce struggling and eventually realizing that God has given him a very specific task: to fight against the British slave trade, for the glory of his Savior. After his conversion, Wilberforce nearly decides to abandon Parliament and become a minister. He feels that if he remains in Parliament, he will be choosing to serve country over choosing to serve God. His friends, however, persuade him that he can, in fact, do both. There is a clear emphasis on God’s calling upon Wilberforce’s life; an almost Calvinistic exalting of God’s sovereignty over a myriad of events. When Wilberforce’s butler asks him if he has “found God,” he replies with enthusiasm, “Actually, I think He found me.” I wanted to stand up in the theater and cheer.

My knowledge of Wilberforce’s life is admittedly small, being limited to the information contained in John Piper’s superb little book The Roots of Endurance (which, by the by, is a truly excellent read). However, the film seems to be accurate in its portrayal of events in Wilberforce’s life, and it has certainly piqued my interest and given me a desire to read more about this extraordinary man.

If you would love to see a beautiful historical film, go see it. If you want to see a clear and refreshingly uncompromising presentation of the Gospel at work in men’s lives, go see it. If you enjoy films that are just plain excellent, go see it.

You won’t be disappointed.

Highly recommended for everyone; rated PG thematic material involving slavery, and some mild language.

(I guess this did turn into a full-fledged review. =P Ah well.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Shawnzo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Shawnzo said...

*cough*

sorry about that, I got off on a tangent that had NOTHING to do with your blog post :-P

Anyway, good review!

And I have a slight disagreement on Wilberforce being an example of the Calvinistic teaching. I agree, he had a destiny, but I don't completely agree with the Calvinist ideas in the first place so... :-P

But anyway, good review, I just thought I should say that little bit. (and no, I'm not saying that you should rephrase your stuff for me. Just voicing my honest opinion)

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Chris said...

lol. I wish I could have seen your tangent, Shawnzo. Out of curiosity, (and you're more than welcome to tell me to go fly a kite, of course), what are your disagreements with calvinism? I'm always interested in objections to things of this nature.

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you don't want to get into it all on Gen's blog. :) sir.taliesin (at) gmail.com

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

"Amazing Grace" is one of my new favorite movies. I saw it twice last week and am seriously thinking of seeing it again. (This is unheard of for me-- I don't think I even saw one movie in a theater last year!)

I loved how “Amazing Grace” dispelled the sacred/secular dichotomy that if Wilberforce continued with parliament he wouldn't be doing "God's work". To hear the line: "we humbly suggest you can do both" was almost worth the cost of admission. What a lesson in vocations!

My knowledge of Wilberforce is limited too; I had not realized that Newton’s and Wilberforce’s lives overlapped as much as they did in the movie. I’m curious to do some research and see how close to fact the movie stayed.

One other thing I was impressed with was Wilberforce’s wife—she was truly lovely in character and in her role of being a helpmate to him. His vision became her vision.

An excellent movie all around.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Lol, I should've known you'd take issue with that, Shawnzo. ;-P I'm glad you enjoyed the review, though. =D

AMEN, Patchwork Quilt, that "we humbly suggest you can do both" scene was another one of my favorite moments in the movie. It was so amazing to see such a clear representation of the Reformational idea of vocations in Wilberforce's life throughout the movie.

From what I have read (granted, not very much), the film seemed to be quite accurate in its representation of his life. Of course, there were quite a number of things that had to be left out, but what was there seemed to be historically accurate. I am very pleased when filmmakers do their research properly and don't get carried away in feeling the need to "dress up" what really happened.

As I said, the movie definitely made we want to learn more about Wilberforce. Perhaps we have his book in our church library... =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home