Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Pemberly Reading Room - update

Just an update, and an apology to those of you who have been eager to get started with The Pemberly Reading Room. My life has been extremely crazy lately; I just started a new job this week (which is excessively exciting, but is taking some getting used to as far as scheduling goes), I’m getting ready for college classes to begin at the end of the month (woo!), trying to figure out how I’m going to continue with my tutoring job, and as of this week, getting ready to leave for vacation on Saturday! Needless to say, I have not been able to work on getting the blog set up at all, and unfortunately, I probably won’t have things together until after I get back from vacation in about two weeks. I must beg your indulgence and ask that you be patient with me these next couple of weeks as I attempt to figure out my new life.

My sis is helping me with the website layout and design, so hopefully we’ll be able to get that set up and ready to go very shortly after we get back from vacation. Those of you who have seen Marissa’s work before know that she’s extremely talented, and I’m certain she’s going to give us a beautiful layout.

I did decide which book we’re going to start with, so if you all want to order/pull off the bookshelf/dust off your copy of Pride and Prejudice, that would be great! I decided that it would be best to begin with one of the better-known titles and then progress to the more obscure. I love all of the books so much, it was tough to choose a “favorite” to start with, but I think this will work great.

Also, I don’t know how many of you would be interested, but I thought it would be really fun for us to go ahead and watch the movie adaptations of each book (on our own time) after we finish reading each one, and then we could have some discussions about the movie versus the book and how the two compare. This can give some really excellent insight into the book, as you compare a slightly different take on the story and certain aspects begin to stand out. In many cases (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion), there is more than one adaptation, so we might even get to watch a couple different versions. I know some of them aren’t the best (for example, the new Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice is hardly worth watching, in my own humble opinion…), so I’ll try to choose the versions that are the most faithful to the book as we go along.

So there are a few more things to be thinking about in the upcoming weeks. As I said, I’m hoping we’ll be set up and ready to go shortly after I’m back home again—I’ll send out an email just as soon as the blog(s) is(are) up and running.

Hope you all are enjoying these beautiful weeks of summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home