Make Me a Servant--Thoughts on a Sermon 4
Though it has been some time now since I’ve been in a church that sings praise choruses, and though I have grown to infinitely prefer hymns over choruses when it comes to corporate worship, there are times when one of those songs from “days past” will get stuck in my head, oftentimes bringing with it some application of a spiritual lesson I’ve learned. It amazes me how these songs will so often just pop into my head for no apparent reason, many times so applicable to some spiritual concept I’ve been learning or re-learning. Today I’ve had one of those songs floating around in my head, one that is particularly applicable to yesterday’s morning sermon. I don’t even remember all of the song, but some of the words go like this: “Make me a servant, humble and meek; Lord, let me lift up those who are weak; and may the prayer of my heart always be, make me a servant today. . .”
Such words are particularly applicable to yesterday’s sermon, “Through Love Serve One Another,” from Galatians 5:13-15. In the second half of his sermon, Pastor Bryant expounded on how this passage reminds us that we must cultivate the love the Holy Spirit has given us for one another—cultivate it by serving each other. We were reminded how we must seek others’ interests above our own; give instead of receive; give attention instead of demanding it.
It is often all too easy to forget that, as Christians, we are called to be servants of one another. Yes, we talk all the time about “fellowship” and “ministry” and “service,” but how often are we truly focused on sacrificing ourselves and pouring out our energy for someone else? I know I for one forget this important focus all the time. It is easy to think (even unknowingly at times!) about how other people can serve me, how I can be ministered to, how my needs can be met, but as a child of God, I must instead be seeking for ways in which I can minister to others and meet their needs instead of my own. In return for such service, God has promised blessing. “Give and it will be given to you. . .”
I see this principle of a servant heart acted upon all around me, and very particularly through the life of one very special woman. Her humility in serving knows no bounds, and she’s never too busy to give of herself for someone else. Day after day, week after week, she continues to pour out herself for others, quiet and unassuming, and often un-thanked, though this should never be the case. She never willingly takes on attention to herself, always pointing the spotlight to someone else. Her joy in servitude shows—I know I’m not the only one who loves her smile. I am particularly blessed because her servant heart’s work has been such a big part of my life.
I love you, Mom. . . ^_^
May I learn to follow your example and to truly take joy in being a servant.
“Make me a servant today. . .”
(Click here to listen to the audio recording of the sermon.)


3 Comments:
Your mom is rad. :) I know that she's always got a smile when Kim and I say "hello", even though I'm sure she doesn't always feel like smiling. Though, with a family like yours, who wouldn't want to smile all the time. Your dad is the same way. :)
I don't know the service your mom does as you do, of course. Kim and I are only just getting into the workings of the church, but I always see her working with the refreshments and making sure things are set up for the fellowship times. She is definitely an awesome servant. Even a noob like me can see. :)
*sniffle* Too true... I can't really say much more than that. You made me cry. :')
Yes, she's pretty much rad. :D I don't always acknowledge it, but she is. She's a true blessing from God. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home